Here is the Sears recipe for a smoothie that Dr. Sears gives his own children:
- 3 cups milk or soy beverage
- 11/2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 1-2 servings Juice Plus+® Complete or similar multinutrient supplement
- one frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup each of your favorite fruit, frozen (e.g., organic strawberries, papaya, mango)
- 2 tbsp. flax oil or 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 4 ounces tofu
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups organic 1% milk
- 3/4 cups organic low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 servings of Amazing Grass Kidz Superfood supplement - berry flavored
- 3/4 cup frozen organic blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen organic mangoes
- 3 tbsp. flax oil
- 3 oz. organic soft tofu
- 1 tbsp. psyllium husks
"Combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve immediately after blending while the mixture still has a bubbly milkshake-like consistency.
We formulated this recipe based on the principle of "synergy." The nutrients consumed together enhance each other's benefits, so the whole nutritional effect is greater than the sum of its parts. I have prescribed this recipe for several hundred school-children and their parents, and we drink it ourselves four to five mornings a week. It's a powerful performance booster for working parents and school-children.
Because fiber steadies the absorption of carbohydrates and therefore contributes to a steadier blood sugar, we suggest using rich sources of fiber, such as flaxseed meal (i.e. ground flax seeds, containing both the oil and fiber), although flax oil has a more palatable consistency than flaxseed meal. For additional fiber, if you don't mind a grainier texture, add 1 tbsp. or more of oat bran."
The smoothie is yummy! My son will normally drink the whole thing. And, I love it, too! I must say, it has been a great way to start my day - I have only the smoothie and I don't get hungry before lunchtime - an added bonus, in that I have been trying to lose weight! (And I have! Yeah!!!)