Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Paradise


A few months ago, my husband and I were running in the neighborhood, and saw several Amazon parrots perched upon an electric line.  Now, as much I we may dream, we do not live in South America...we are in Southern California.  Needless to say, this was a rare sight.
We were only two blocks away from home, and I desperately wished these exotic creatures would make their way to our yard.  We are well equipped with tons of tropical trees and plants - a haven for these unusual birds.  Sure enough, last month we would see the flock of about 18 parrots fly over our property in the morning, usually around 7:30 or 8.  They flew high, but their call was unmistakable.  They were loud and rambunctious, waking up any sleepers-in.  
A dream come true, they have finally settled into our neck of the woods, at least for a morning treat each day.  The flock spreads itself over two or three trees, calling to one another.  They sit on the electrical line that feeds to our home.  They jostle for the best viewing position of a tree with one spare branch at its peak.  
I know the morning will come when they move on.  It will be soon.  But, 'til then I can enjoy my little slice of paradise each morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment