Saturday, June 5, 2010

PERFECT DAY


Perfect days just happen.  You can't make them happen.  Take, for instance, Mother's Day this year.  My son was playing at his grandmother's that morning and the last thing he wanted to do was be torn away from his playtime there to spend time with mommy.  I was devastated!  "It's Mother's Day, d*** it!"  I thought, "How could you not WANT to spend time with your loving mother!!!"  Anyway, he finally acquiesced.  We went ocean kayaking (one of my favorite things).  The weather was a bit gloomy - but it didn't look too choppy out there - that is, until we hit the water.  I swear, it was like the perfect storm.  For those of you who haven't been ocean kayaking, you have to take your kayak directly out.  If there is a wave cresting towards you, you HAVE to paddle hard - right into it - and hope you ride over the top of it.  "Oh my god," I thought "What was I thinking!?!"  My son was at the front of the kayak, the perfect view for the 6 foot swells that appeared out of nowhere.  Well, needless to say, we made it!  But, that day was not the perfect day I had hope for.
But take this morning, for example.  Hubby had to work this morning, so after brewing a pot of Roger's Family Organic Fair Trade coffee, my son and I went out into the backyard in our p.j.'s and gardened.  The doggies watched intently and stayed by or side the whole time.  Kitty was inside, jealous, I think!  My boy helped to spread organic fertilizer and seed.  Then, he dug holes to make his own "golf course."  We, sadly, found a dead rat - victim, probably of a crow, and buried it.  He offered a sweet eulogy that the rat come back one day as a baby rat.  Then, we hopped inside to clean up and I made yummy buckwheat pancakes (chocolate chip for him, blueberry for me).  As I cooked, I lit some Nag Champa incense and had Souad Massi blaring on the iHome.  Next, we will go on a "date" - a children's fair whose proceeds go towards pediatric cancer research.   Later, we will come back - more yard work.  Then, I have to learn my lines for a play which starts rehearsals in two days (I am an actor - hey, and I have a job!  Yeah!)  And then, dinner with family tonight!  Doesn't get much better than this.  A perfect day....

No comments:

Post a Comment