Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Story Time From Around The World

Years ago, when I lived in Japan, I used to frequent Kamakura, near Tokyo - a small village full of artists' studios and lots of beautiful shrines, temples, and awe-inspiring nature.  I happened upon the studio of Shomei Yoh and purchased one of his illustrated books, "Little Buddha."  This was YEARS before I ever thought of having children - I just thought the book was beautiful, so I bought it.  Well, "Little Buddha" has made it's way into our lives as a family.  My son loves the book - it immediately brings him peace when we read it.  

We have since added to our collection of books from around the world.  Here are a few that I highly recommend:

"The Prince Who Ran Away" by Anne Rockwell, illustrated by Fahimeh Amiri
"The Monkey Bridge" by Rafe Martin, illustrated by Fahimeh Amiri
"Bringing the Rain to Kapiti" by Verna Aardema, pictures by Beatriz Vidal
"Art From Her Heart" by Kathy Whitehead and Shane W. Evans
"And The Kangaroo Played His Digeridoo" by Nigel Gray, illustrated by Glen Singleton
"The Little Red Fish" by Taeeun Yoo
"Flotsam" by David Wiesner
"Indian Tales - A Barefoot Collection" by Shenaaz Nanji and Christopher Corr
"Tripper's Travels - An International Scrapbook" by Nancy Chapman, illustrated by Lee Chapman
"The Pet Dragon" by Christoph Niemann
"Hamish the Highland Cow" by Natalie Russell
"A is for Africa" by Ifeoma Oneyefulu
"The Usborne Book of People of the World" published by Usborne
"Children Just Like Me" published by DK for Unicef

I would love it if you would post your favorite kid's books - preferably those having to do with cultures from around the world.  Can't wait to explore more books!!



No comments:

Post a Comment