Saturday, April 3, 2010

Playtime - It's Not Just For Kids!


How often do we take our kids to the park and sit on a bench sipping our Lattes while we watch our kids play?  Or, we drop them off at an art class, dance class, or karate class, where we wait on the sidelines as we browse through the latest magazine. 
The other day I played tag for the first time in a LONG time.  That same day, I took an art class with my son.  We drew dinosaurs, and didn't really care if we drew outside the lines.  Then, we went to the park and had a contest to see who could swing the highest. Yesterday, I caught my husband playing with silly string!  And the day before that, I was on my hands and knees drawing on our patio with chalk!
As parents, we often get so wrapped up with the ticker tape of to-do-lists rattling through our brain, that down-time seems most productive sipping a coffee, or reading a book.  But, I encourage you to "let go" and get silly!  The next time you take your child to the park, get up on those monkey bars with him.  Leave your iPhone in the car and have a race!  Play I Spy.  Throw the ball around for a bit.  Have a go at the slide.  I guarantee you will feel more refreshed, and your child will have a ball playing with mom! (or dad!)

No comments:

Post a Comment