Friday, April 30, 2010

Tree Houses, Huts, and Forts, Oh My!

My son's birthday is the day after Christmas.  Yeah, I know, I know, I didn't plan that well!  It certainly can make for a hectic time of year.  A few years ago, I was bound and determined to not overdo the gift thing.  You know, presents on Christmas Eve, more presents on Christmas Day, and even more on his birthday.  So, each year my husband and I abandon the "gift" thing on Jack's birthday and do something a little different.  On his 3rd birthday, I built him this "Pirate Hut."  Each day when Jack was at preschool or at Grammy's, I would work as quickly as I could to build this hut - without him knowing.  Yes, even on Christmas Day, I would stir the pot in the kitchen - getting ready for Christmas dinner - and would hop out to the yard to put the final touches on the hut.  It was crazy, ridiculous, and wonderful - all at the same time.  I don't know how I had the energy - but I did it!  And it felt so much better to give him something that I had poured my heart and soul into, rather than popping into Toys R Us and buying him something off the shelf.  

2 comments:

  1. My oldest son's birthday is five days after Christmas and we struggle with what to every year also. I love your idea to make something special instead of more gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And he likes it, too! To be honest, opening that many gifts finally gets boring for him. And the tree house, for instance, is something he can play with for years.

    ReplyDelete